Monday, March 17, 2014

May the road rise up to meet you

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!!! I won't be partaking in any day drinking or green beer this year (unfortuantely), but I am sporting a green shirt and I'll listen to some Irish music, no problemo! :) We had a pretty low-key weekend, but I did make it to the Veronica Mars movie, which I loved!!! It was a great walk down memory lane, and I was happy with how it panned out. I'll talk about it more in a later post this week :) We also got about 8 loads of laundry done, organized the baby room, saw two different groups of friends, and ran some pretty necessary errands. The hospital bag is mostly packed (more on that tomorrow!) and I'm ready to have the baby just as soon as my in-laws get home on Wednesday to watch Molly when we go to the hospital! ;) I am thinking, personally, that it will still be a couple more weeks though. I'm 37 1/2 weeks today, and Molly was almost 41 weeks so I am thinking there is still some baby-cooking going on in there, but I guess we'll find out soon!

(Via)
Ireland is on my list of places to visit, mostly because of the music and the culture. I love instrumental Irish and Scottish music because it has influenced a lot of the Cape Breton music that I grew up with. As I've mentioned before, I play the fiddle and piano, although not extremely well, and any chance to hear live Cape Breton music is a good time, in my books. Fortunately, it is easy to come by in Halifax and even easier in Cape Breton when we visit in the summer.

Cape Breton fiddling is primarily influenced by Scottish music, but many of the jigs and reels are Irish. Jigs were some of the first tunes I learned, which I think is quite common. Jigs are reels are also used in Cape Breton Square dancing, as seen in this video:

I wanted to share some of my favourite Cape Breton fiddlers (and Irish too) in a Youtube playlist, so I highlighted a few of my favourite primarily Irish sets by these fiddlers. Here are some of my favourite Cape Breton fiddlers:

Ashley MacIsaac
Natalie MacMaster
Andrea Beaton
Colin Grant
Troy MacGillivray
Chrissy Crowley
Dawn and Margie Beaton
Ian MacDougall

I also really love the Irish band, Lunasa. Here's my favourite track by them.

On an unrelated note, one of my all-time favourite NON-Celtic bands, U2, hails from Ireland, as I'm sure many of you know ;), and the group Heathers is also from Ireland, is worth checking out (not just because of their name, which is obviously awesome). :)

There is also this awesome song, which is a favourite of my sister's, from the movie P.S. I love you :)


As you can see, I'm destined to visit Ireland someday and Scotland is on the list too - I can't wait to make it over there someday!!!

Hope you all enjoyed some of this music (although it's not really everyone's cup of tea!) and Happy St. Patrick's Day!!


6 comments:

  1. Girlfriend! It's almost baby time!! So exciting :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I really have to check out some of those fiddlers. But it's Monday night and I'm quickly running out of my evening. So I'll have to check back in to hear them! Happy Green Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the music choices you shared today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh you must be so excited that you're going to have your baby soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally didn't drink green beer this year either. :) (Not that I ever do. I really don't like beer). Happy belated St. Patrick's day! And good luck prepping for new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy St. Patrick's Day! It's totally my favorite holiday, and it was so weird this year to not spend it in a bar! But hey, I'm really too old to day drink on a Monday. ;-) Good luck with the end of your pregnancy. I am 33 weeks tomorrow and it's starting to feel like the time is dragging!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I'd love to hear what you think of this post!